The Argument Essay
The argument essay is the most common type of writing assignment that college students will encounter throughout their academic careers. While there are different variations of the argument essay, the overall foundation is always the same: the writer is tasked with investigating an issue, taking a stand on the issue, and finding and incorporating a multitude of evidence in a logical manner to support the overall claim.
Most of us have experience with arguing, but an argumentative essay is quite different than a verbal argument that arises out of the blue. Verbal arguments often become heated and unreasonable, while the goal of an argumentative essay is the opposite: the argument must be specific, reasoned, detailed and supported with a variety of evidence. Furthermore, a verbal argument often focuses on who is right regarding a specific issue, while a well-written, researched argument essay focuses on what is the right side of a particular issue. In short, an argument essay must be logical from beginning to end.
The following are important elements of a good argument essay:
- Create a clear, firm,and debatable thesis. An effective thesis statement is an important foundational element of any essay, but it is of even greater importance in an argument essay. The reader needs to know exactly what the argument is and why it is important; there can be no confusion. For more on creating a thesis statement, view the thesis statements page.
- Provide the necessary background information on the topic. While an argument essay isn’t the same as a research essay, a bit of background information is often needed early in the essay to understand the argument. For example, if the writer is arguing that a certain amendment to the state constitution should be passed, it is probably necessary to describe what changes the amendment would make and whether or not a similar amendment has been proposed at some point.
- Focus on organization and transitions. While transitions are important in any type of essay, they are particularly important in an argument essay. This is because the argument essay involves multiple reasons and evidence to support the overall thesis, and counter arguments are often discussed and refuted as well.
Argument essays can be organized in a variety of ways. Regardless of the order in which it is organized, all argument essays should explain and support several reasons why the argument is valid, as well as explain and refute several opposing arguments offered by the other side. All writers will benefit from creating an outline to organize all of the information that will be presented, and this benefit becomes even greater with longer argument essays. For more on creating an outline, view the creating an outline page.
- Perform effective and thorough research. Most argumentative essays require incorporating research into the essay. If this is the case with your essay, make sure to perform a significant amount of research before fully committing to a topic. This is important because you need to make sure there are enough credible sources that can be used in your essay. You don’t want to commit to a topic and begin writing the essay only to later discover that you can’t find enough quality sources to make the topic work.
- Incorporate logos, pathos, and ethos. Logos is a term that refers to the use of logic in a debate. As a writer, the use of logos should be primary, should appear throughout the essay, and it is the best way to convince someone to adopt a particular stance on any issue. It is also important to avoid using logical fallacies. While logos should be the primary target, pathos - which is the use of emotion - can also be incorporated. Pathos means getting the reader emotionally involved in the argument so that the reader is open to further persuasion. One of the best places to use pathos is in the introduction. Ethos - the use of credibility - is also important. The best way for writers to incorporate ethos is by addressing counterarguments and using credible sources. Additionally, taking a reasonable stand on the issue (as opposed to an extreme one) will also lead to more credibility.
Topic selection is of the utmost importance in an argument essay. The writer should focus on picking a topic that is current and relevant to society and can be argued logically. It is best to avoid moral topics because they do not always support logical discussion. Additionally, any potential topic for an argument essay should be current, debatable, researchable and manageable.
A current topic is one that has not been overdebated and is still being decided by society. Most writers and readers are sick of topics that have been debated for years: abortion, the death penalty, the legalization of marijuana, etc.
A debatable topic is one that has differing viewpoints. In other words, it is a controversial issue. Writing about how child abuse has consequences for society is not debatable since no one would disagree with this thesis. On the other hand, debating whether the common punishments for child abusers are effective or not in deterring crime is debatable and can make for an interesting and well-supported essay.
A researchable topic is one in which the writer can find a variety of credible and current sources. In other words, the writer needs to be able to find a multitude of research performed by qualified individuals to support the overall argument.
A manageable topic is one that can be successfully performed within the page requirements of the essay. Writing about widespread issues such as national or global problems is often unmanageable in just a few pages. To avoid this, most writers should begin with a basic subject and then try to narrow the subject down to a more appropriate level. For example, if a writer is passionate about arguing for or against the Health Care Reform Act that was passed by Congress in 2010, it would be wise to narrow this topic. It isn’t possible to argue for or against the entire law (the bill itself is more than 2,000 pages long). It may be possible to argue for or against one portion of the law.
Using the above criteria as a basic guideline should allow a writer to find a suitable topic.
WHAT MAKES A MILITARY ESSAY WRITING PERFECT
The role of military service in life and safety of each separate country is priceless, as each officer, irrespective of his/her rank, status, and merits, serves for a good cause of the entire country and its civilians as well. Nonetheless, to become such person, it is often important to know a lot about the past, the present and possible future of your country. History of each country teaches its citizens what needs to be done not to make the same mistakes twice, and very often, the price of such mistakes is human lives.
That is where a military service comes into force, any army is created to protect the integrity of a specific country, it is its primary role, but sometimes an army is created to conquer a certain territory. To become a real defender of your country and its citizens, it is necessary to learn a ton of information and develop many skills that will be useful when the time comes. The history of soldiery training is vast and complex, as it is written with the blood of those who fell in numerous battles.
Nowadays, to acquire all these skills, a person needs to get into a chosen military academy or school, and the first step on the way to the dreamed position is writing a unique military essay to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Knowledge and understanding of your strengths and weaknesses are key points if you want to write at least a decent work. As a proverb says "practice makes perfect," the same rule works with any type of military essays and the training itself. It is worth adding that such essays constitute an important part of the soldiery training program, as cadets need to master many skills, for example, critical thinking, tactics, commitment, attention to minute details, physical strength and compliance with approved manuals and rules.
HOW TO WRITE A GOOD ESSAY?
First of all, to tailor a winning application paper, for instance, it is necessary to choose a sphere and a topic for the paper. While there are quite a few great military essay topics on the web, try coming up with one yourself first. Many applicants tend to focus on past events and give critical analysis or review to memorable battles or events, but you are free to concentrate on possible future. By doing so you have a chance of demonstrating yourself as a good tactician, but be extremely opinionated when making such a decision as it may affect the whole paper.
Make sure to stick to military essay format required, and be very careful structuring the paper – that is where a lot of writers, even good ones, often make their biggest mistakes. Once you learned everything you need about the formatting and basic essay requirements, you should focus on creating a catching introductory sentence to gain the officers’ attention right from the start. Do not try to bite more than you can chew; it is better to prove yourself as a person willing to work hard and learn than a foolish boaster in the eyes of application committee officers.
As you may know, there are different types of works like this, for example, military accountability, argumentative, or appearance essays, and each of these types defines the content of the work. That is why research is so important here, especially if you are a newcomer and know almost nothing about the given subject.
Be prepared to make all efforts to tailor a well-structured and reasoned paper, and it may result in the need to make multiple revisions, as well as to add, delete, alter, and rewrite the text. If you feel unsatisfied with the way your paper is structured, look at a few quality military essay examples and see whether you like the way any of them is organized. Afterward, decide what would be the better structure for your work, and make the necessary changes.
Finally, remember about grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Check doubtful parts on the spot, when you still remember about it and do not leave until better days. In the worst-case-scenario, give it to someone who may proofread the work and find all the mistakes and weak places (if any). Remember, writing a persuasive essay is what you should aim for on the first place. Thus, make sure you sound like someone who is ready for the military and will be dedicated to serving the country for life. Before submitting an essay, check whether you like the written part of the work and prepare to wait for the result.
ORDER ESSAYS AT PRO-PAPERS
The internet is full of writing tips, recommendations, and free essay samples, but these things do not guarantee success or positive result of your application. Pro-Papers is the company that can offer professional academic assistance to those who need help with the papers of any kind. When you buy essays online from us, we always ensure you receive a top-notch paper within the deadline you requested. We hire only professional writers to tailor papers for our clients, and our Support Team is always online to give a useful advice about the order placement process or anything else related to our services.
We are ready to provide our assistance anytime you might need it, so go ahead and purchase the best MBA essays or any other types of works at our writing service. Trust us with your writing assignments, and let us show you what the real quality work looks like.
|Writing from scratch|