Romeo and Juliet, by Shakespeare, is a play which shows how prejudice leads to escalating violence. Prejudice leads to violence shown in the play when the feuding families, the Montagues and Capulets fight. In each case, disruption, fighting, injuries and death occur. Also, the prejudice against the two families never got resolved because they were enemies. The prejudice started in Act one Scene one, when the Capulets and Montague servants confronted each other. Then the Capulets servants insult the Montagues. Which lead to a street brawl of the two feuding families. Furthermore in Act three Scene one, the prejudice between the families get worse. When Tybalt wanted revenge with the Montagues, he then confronted Romeo and Mercutio and started a duel. In addition the prejudice between families got even worse, when Tybalt kills Mercutio. Also, in Act five Scene three, Tybalt challenges Romeo to fight and Romeo kills him. Which lead to prejudice between the families.
The street in Verona, a public place, is where the prejudice starts between the two families. In Act one Scene one, Sampson and Gregory servants for the Capulets, insulted the Montagues servants Balthasar and Abraham by biting his thumb at him. This leads to a fight, which involves the Lord’s of both families and the Prince. No death occurred, but the families attitudes against each other were worse then before. Which caused a lot of prejudice against the families that lead to violence.
In like manners, another duel between the two feuding families start up again in the street of Verona in Act three Scene one. When Mercutio and Benvolio friends of Romeo, are confronted by Tybalt, who is still prejudice against the Montagues. Tybalt thinks that they crashed the Capulets ball and know he wants revenge. Mercutio and Tybalt fight between each others. Now Romeo arrives trying to stop the arguments. Tybalt draws his sword and challenges Romeo. Romeo refuses to fight and Mercutio stops in to meet Tybalt challenges. Romeo again, steps in to stop the fighting, but Tybalt stabs Mercutio under Romeo’s arm. Mercutio from this action dies from his injury and this caused disruption between the families which lead to prejudice.
Instead of a Capulet killing a Montague, in Act five Scene three, a Montague kills a Capulet as prejudice leads to violence. In the Capulets Tomb at night, Paris, a young nobleman, kinsman to the Prince has come to pay his respect to his ‘lost’ Juliet. When he hears the footstep of his enemies Romeo and Balthasar. Paris thinks Romeo has come to desecrate Juliet’s grave in act of the prejudice against them. While young Romeo was only trying to see his only love dead.. But Paris didn’t know so he challenges Romeo to a fight and Romeo kills Paris. This event was caused due to prejudice that lead to violence which included injuries, death and disruption.
From examining Romeo and Juliet, it is evident that the play shows how prejudice leads to escalating violence when the opening brawl started by the servants, the duel between Mercutio and Tybalt and Romeo and Paris. So it is evident that Romeo and Juliet, is a play that shows how prejudice leads to escalating violence between the feuding families.
Romeo and Juliet Essay Questions
This is the most famous tragedy of Shakespeare and one of the world's most lasting love stories. The play’s plot originated several sixteenth century sources. Yet this work is still popular nowadays, so, most likely you have already faced a particular task, or you will get essay on Romeo and Juliet later. Here, we suggest you to use our Romeo and Juliet essay prompts. Get interesting and comprehensive topics, key questions and thesis statements for your assignment.
As when writing other essays, you need to choose the Romeo and Juliet essay questions that allow you to explore some aspect of the poem deeply. Begin your work by pre-writing and brainstorming. Create an idea by outlining or listing ideas.
We recommend you to explore the next points:
- 1. Consider the relationships between parents and children. Think of Romeo’s and Juliet’s interaction with their parents. Are these relationships rebellious in our generation?
- 2. Who is responsible for the tragedy of two lovers? Perhaps, Romeo and Juliet themselves? Their parents? Fate?
- 3. How does Shakespeare interpret death in the play? Answer in terms of legal, moral, familial, and personal controversial points of view.
- 4. How does the suicidal impulse relate to the overall theme of young love? Take into account family affiliation, gender, social class and age.
Furthermore, Shakespeare was an artist in words. Romeo and Juliet essays allow us to analyze the speech and explain its figurative language. Explore how the use of metaphor, simile, hyperbole and personification contributes longer speech of the play.
Romeo and Juliet essay topics
Among many the variants of topics, we have selected some of the most interesting. We hope that you’ll find a lot of useful here.
Romeo and Juliet essay topics:
- 1. The role of women in the play.
- 2. Friar Laurence and his role and dramatic purposes in the tragedy.
- 3. Mercutio and what makes him so memorable and important character in the play.
- 4. The concept of predefined destiny and how it relates to the tragedy.
- 5. Juliet and Paris story. The likenesses and differences between Romeo and Paris who both love Juliet.
- 6. Romeo and Juliet as a story of a revolt against authority.
- 7. Contrast between the characters of Mercutio and Tybalt. Why does Mercutio hate Tybalt?
- 8. Shakespeare and his consideration of a self-destructive tendency connected with love.
- 9. How does the story of Romeo and Juliet apply to teenagers today?
- 10. Romeo, his character and his interest to Rosaline. Does this affect the credence of the love he feels to Juliet?
The conclusion for Romeo and Juliet essay should tie together all important themes and answer significant questions that run throughout your essay.
Need help with the essay?
We would like to offer you our competent assistance in the field of academic writing. Samedayessay.com expert team will easily cope with any type of your essay, whether it would be Romeo and Juliet persuasive essay, an expository, an analytical, or a Romeo and Juliet compare and contrast essay.
Deadlines and all your requirements will be strictly followed. Our writers deal with assignments of any complexity, volume and structure, like Romeo and Juliet 5 paragraph essay, etc.
If you have any doubts that you can cope with the task and perform it up to the mark – play it safe and ask for our professional help!