The Academic Registrar, Makerere University invites applications for admission to Graduate Programmes (Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctoral degree Programmes) for the 2017/2018 Academic Year. Applicants should have obtained at least a first degree (or its equivalent) from a recognized and chartered university/institution at the time of completion. Applicants should also possess a Ugandan Certificate of
Education with at least five passes (or its equivalent) and a Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) with at least two principal passes and one subsidiary pass obtained at the same sitting (or its equivalent).
All Graduate Programmes are PRIVATELY-SPONSORED. Therefore applicants seeking sponsorship should have their applications endorsed by their respective sponsors where applicable. Applicants should note that the various fees payable to the University indicated for the various programmes EXCLUDE functional fees, accommodation, books, research and other expenses.
PHD. DEGREES BY RESEARCH ONLY:
All colleges offer PhD degrees by Research. Applicants for PhD by research should have a Master’s degree in a field relevant to their area of further studies. Applicants will be required to submit their applications any time in Room 410, Level 4 with a synopsis. For further information, please visit our website http://rgt.mak.ac.ug check on applying.
DURATION OF PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diplomas - One Academic Year
Masters degrees (full time) - Two Academic Years
Masters degrees (part time) - Three – Four Academic Years
Masters of Medicine - Three Academic Years
Master of Public Health (Day) - Three Academic Years
Master of Public Health (Distance) - Three to Five Academic Years
PhD (Provisional Admission) - One Academic Year (Maximum)
PhD (Full Admission) - Three Academic Years
PhD/MD/LLD (full time) - Three Academic Years
PhD/MD/LLD (part time) - Five Academic Y ears.
1. Hard copies of application forms are obtainable from the Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, 3rd Floor, Senate Building, Room 307 after payment of an application fee of Ug. shs 50,000/= (Ugandan applicants) and Ug. Shs. 151,500 (International Applicants) to any Stanbic Bank Branch and DFCU Bank, Centenary Bank or Post Bank using Makerere University paying-in-bank slips. International applicants can also pay by bank draft as cheques will not be honoured.
2. Required forms can be downloaded from the links below:
Payments can be made to Makerere University Revenue Collection Accounts and Bank Swift Codes are as follows:
NO BANK ACCOUNT TITLE ACCOUNT NO SWIFT ADDRESSES
1 STANBIC BANK MUC-FEES COLLECTION CASH 9030005866749 SBICUGKXXXX
2 DFCU BANK MUC- FEES COLLECTION 01083500181477 DFCUUGKAXXX
3 CENTENARY BANK MUC FEES COLLECTION 3740300001 CERBUGKAXXX
4 POSTBANK UGANDA LTD MUC FEES COLLECTION 1630037000063 UGPBUGKA
3. Completed application forms should be emailed to drgt[@]rgt.mak.ac.ug or returned to the Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Room 307. All forms must be accompanied by the following
a. Relevant supporting certified copies of certificates, and academic transcripts,
b. Letters from 3 referees.
c. 2passport photos.
The closing date for receiving applications is Friday 28th April, 2017.
4. All Applicants for Master of Laws (LLM) will do a Graduate Admission Test (GAT) consisting of an oral Interview and written test. The fee is Ug. Shs. 100,000/= (One hundred thousand shillings) payable to the School Accountant. The GAT will be held on 17th June, 2017
5. All Applicants for Master of Business Administration (College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School) will do a GMAT test on dates to be communicated by College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School respectively. The fee for the MUBS GMAT Admission test is 50,000/=.
6. In addition to the general admission requirements, applicants for Master of Public Infrastructure Management (MPIM) must have “Proven professional experience of at least 2 years at managerial/supervisory level or policy-decision making position in a government, parastatal organ, international organisation or non-governmental organisation” Applicants should attach a 2- page short CV and referee recommendations.
7. Programmes that Senate recommended for restructuring will be advertised at a later date
8. For detailed information about the Programmes’ admission requirements, content and regulations can be obtained from the University Website or contact the Principals/College Registrars of the respective Colleges and Schools.
Alfred Masikye Namoah
Each applicant should:
Have the Uganda Certificate of Education with at least (five passes), or its equivalent and at least two principal passes at Advanced Level obtained at the same sitting. For day programmes, only candidates who sat "A" Level in 2013, 2012 and 2011 are eligible to apply. For Evening, Afternoon, and External programmes, a candidate is not restricted on the year of sitting "A" Level.
Hold at least a Second Class or Credit (or equivalent classification) Diploma from a recognised institution, relevant to the programmes applied for. ( Details of the Diploma Admission requirements for the 2014/2015 academic year can be viewed on the notice boards of the undergraduate admissions office notice boards or on Makerere University website: http://mak.ac.ug) or here
Be a Graduate from a recognised university.
How to apply
- Application forms and other relevant information may be obtained from undergraduate admissions Office, Level 3, Senate Building, Makerere University. Admissions are processed in May/June every year.
- Non-refundable application fee of UG Shs.50,000/= for Ugandans and UG Shs.172,500/= for International applicants plus Bank charge of UG Shs.2,500/= should be paid from the following banks using Makerere University Paying-in-slips:
- Any STANBIC BANK BRANCH MUC - FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 9030005816385
- DFCU BANK MAKERERE BRANCH MUC - FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 01013500181512
- CENTENARY BANK MUC - FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 4912300001
- CRANE BANK MUC - FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 0145053500100
3. After paying, each applicant must attach a copy of the paying - in slip to the application form and submit the completed application form to the Undergraduate Admissions Office in the Senate Building, Makerere University.
Candidates who hold grades X, Y, Z, 7 and 9 of 'O'level results should not apply because they are Not eligible for admission.
Diploma holder applicants who hold class three (3) Diploma Certificates are not eligible for admission and therefore should not apply, except where stated in the diploma holders requirements.
Applicants are strongly warned against presenting forged or other people's academic documents to support their applications for admission. The consequences, if discovered, are very grave indeed.
For the latest Cut-Off Points for the respective Academic Programmes to guide you in making choices for courses, programmes, tuition and other fees requirements, check our News Website (http://news.mak.ac.ug)
For further enquiries, please contact the Academic Registrar's Office through the addresses at the link below http://mak.ac.ug/services/academic-registrar
Click here For more information on the MoES PUJAB Note to Schools for the 2014-2014 Academic Year